18 years old
Pont l'Abbé d'Arnoult
Studenthttps://www.violettedorange.com Go to skipper medias
By taking the start of her first Mini-Transat at just 18 years of age, Violette Dorange will be the youngest competitor in this 22nd edition. Born in the Charente-Maritime region (in Rochefort), the young woman is also one of the locals of the leg since she’s a member of the Société des Régates Rochelaises in La Rochelle.
“I come from a family of sailor types and I started sailing an Optimist at 7”, she says. “I sailed the boat for eight years before switching to the 420 for my sports studies. I’ve travelled a lot to participate in all the competitions, including the world championships. It was great.” In Opti then 420, Violette has bagged some excellent results.
Violette Dorange has also secured two world premieres by crossing the English Channel and then the Straits of Gibraltar on her Optimist. “I adored heading offshore and the adventure. I realised it’s what most appeals to me. That’s why I’ve set myself the challenge of the Mini-Transat”, she explains. “Initially, I was focused on a project for the 2021 edition, but it was too long to wait! I don’t have time to really hone my skills and learn things methodically so I can’t set my sights on a great place, but why not a Top 10?”
Nautical track record:
- 1st girl to cross the English Channel on an Optimist (Isle of Wight/Cherbourg in 2016)
- 1st to cross the Straits of Gibraltar on an Optimist (Gibraltar/Ceuta in 2017)
- French 420 Champion in 2016 and 2017
- 3rd in the European 420 Championship in 2017
- No.2 in the 420 Youth Sailing World Championship in 2017
- Participations in races on the Mini circuit in 2018 and 2019